Thread: Parallel Make Call toolstep handler & Extended Place Call too

Parallel Make Call toolstep handler & Extended Place Call too

I trying to design a handler that can make several outbound calls to different numbers at once and if one who answers the call first will stay connected , while the other disconnect. I also trying to have an outbound call make to a hunt group and if no answer after a certain time, will goto the next in the hunt group. Does any have any handler that does this now? If so please email it to r_smidt_smitty@yahoo.com. If you have any other information you can provide to help me develop this handle it would be helpful. Happy Holidays everyone.

I think what you are looking for is Dialer?
    Paul Simpson
    Technical Sales Systems Engineer

Dialer would be the easiest way to do this. I have seen customers make on call type dialers where it can call out to multiple numbers. I think you would need to get real creative to drop the other calls when the first call gets picked up.

Hi Richard,

How did you get along with this?

I'd imagine using Dialer is over-kill for simple parallel call functionality (especially when it's available by default on Cisco and Avaya platforms - and I think it's even on PureCloud)

Cheers,
    Jeff.

There is a parallel make call tool step in handlers which is designed to make a bunch of calls at the same time from one station or a workgroup depending on configuration. In the tool step you can specify how many calls need to be a connect for the tool step to be considered a success. I've never used this toolstep before but I'm curious what happens to the other calls after the first connect. Since you are going to call lets say 5 phone numbers at the same time there is a good chance that multiple people could pick up at the same time so how would you intend to handle that. It sounds like you may want to stagger the dials where you try 1 number first and then if no one responds you roll over to the next number.

Parallel calls

I've created several handler-based applications like this and have tried the Parallel Make Call toolsteps a few times, but never found a scenario where the capabilities they offered were useful for what I was doing.

When I need to generate several calls, there are a couple of mechanisms that I generally use:

- To make a series of calls back-to-back, a subroutine works nicely.
    - To place several calls basically at the same time, I usually use a Custom Notification to trigger a 2nd handler that places the calls. To only keep the first connected call, I usually disable call analysis and play a prompt asking the answering party to press a key to confirm that they have received the call. I wrap this in a Semaphore Lock that checks a structured parameter for an interaction ID. If not already answered, write Call ID to structured parameter and continue. If true, play a message to the answering party that the call has already been accepted and terminate.

It's possible that there is an easier way to do this, but this is the most reliable method I have found that allows me to control both ends of the calls and which call to use for additional processing.

Outside of a custom handler with the Parallel Call tool step and an Attendant custom Subroutine - it would be great if it could be easily configured within Administrator for example:

Station Group:
    Allowing any number to be added directly as a Member and then use the existing functionality of having it's own extension along with the type of Group Ring, Sequential or Round-robin.

Remote Station:

Allow a Remote Station configured with any number to actually "Ring Always" (the current Ring Always option is only relating to always ring telephone when logged into an interaction client) - then this could be added as Station Group member.
    Last edited by jeff; August 13th, 2017 at 22:12.

You can add Remote Ststion stations to a Station Group. The one catch is that you have to have a user logged in and Available on that remote station for the calls to actually ring when you transfer a call to the station group.

I got around it by creating dummy users and kept them logged in and Available on an isolated workstation. Kludgy, but it worked.

I haven't tried it for a few years, so I don't know if it still works that way.
    George Ganahl
    Principal Technology Consultant

Thanks George, I did end up reaching the same conclusion that whilst Remote Stations can be added to Station Groups it does require the user to be logged in and available.

The help documentation regarding Remote Stations originally gave incorrect advice in saying:
    "Notes: Selecting Ring Always prevents the agent/user from controlling the telephone ringing - this setting always overrides the CIC client option. This option must be selected to properly enabled a default workstation for a user."

This would imply a Remote Station can be used as a default workstation. But when you open the help documentation regarding User Config and default workstation it says:
    "You cannot select a remote station name as the default workstation. Remote users must log on to IC to receive calls."