Thread: Round-Robin question

Round-Robin question

Hi there,

I can't seem to find the answer to this in documentation. We use round-robin workgroups to distribute some calls. In my initial testing, I thought the behavior is that the work group will attempt three stations in the work group and then drop back to the attendant for further handling. (there is no group voicemail defined)

I tested yesterday and found that all the stations were attempted and then the call routed back to our standard auto attendant, not the operator. This is not preferred behavior as there are 9 members in this work group. So I heard a lot of ringing, and then our standard "Thank you for calling..."

What is the standard behavior for the round robin if the call is not answered?

Thanks, Nicole

Quote Originally Posted by nofon4u View Post
    Hi there,

I can't seem to find the answer to this in documentation. We use round-robin workgroups to distribute some calls. In my initial testing, I thought the behavior is that the work group will attempt three stations in the work group and then drop back to the attendant for further handling. (there is no group voicemail defined)

I tested yesterday and found that all the stations were attempted and then the call routed back to our standard auto attendant, not the operator. This is not preferred behavior as there are 9 members in this work group. So I heard a lot of ringing, and then our standard "Thank you for calling..."

What is the standard behavior for the round robin if the call is not answered?

Thanks, Nicole
    In your attendant what do you have for your timeout behavior settings in the workgroup transfer?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhat View Post
    In your attendant what do you have for your timeout behavior settings in the workgroup transfer?

We aren't using an attendant to get to this workgroup. There is a target number for the workgroup, and we send the call directly there.

The standard behavior for Round-robin, DNIS-based routing (so, not through Attendant), is to ring one phone at a time for users who are logged in, Available, and not on another call. If no one answers, it then rolls into Interaction Attendant handling and chooses the most applicable Profile, then Schedule, based on the criteria you have set up in Attendant. If you want those calls to roll to voicemail, you should have a profile in Attendant do the initial transfer to the workgroup (probably in a Multi-action Container), then have the next action in the MAC be a Transfer to Voicemail.
    George Ganahl
    Principal Education Technology Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by GGanahl View Post
    The standard behavior for Round-robin, DNIS-based routing (so, not through Attendant), is to ring one phone at a time for users who are logged in, Available, and not on another call. If no one answers, it then rolls into Interaction Attendant handling and chooses the most applicable Profile, then Schedule, based on the criteria you have set up in Attendant. If you want those calls to roll to voicemail, you should have a profile in Attendant do the initial transfer to the workgroup (probably in a Multi-action Container), then have the next action in the MAC be a Transfer to Voicemail.
    I don't want them to route to voicemail, I prefer the attendant. However, it is choosing our main auto-attendant, and not the operator profile. Can I direct which operator profile? Also, can I limit the amount of time it spends ringing extensions before it finds an attendant profile?

Thank you!
    Nicole

Attendant

To control where the call goes in Attendant after alerting, it must come from Attendant.

To do this:
    • Create a new profile and select calls for it by DNIS
    • Click the Call Processing Style button on the profile and choose direct-to-queue processing
    • Select the workgroup (with round robin style) and enter a timeout (number of seconds to wait...)
    • Make sure that the "Only perform..." checkbox is checked and click OK
    • Set both repetition settings on the default schedule to 0 and disable the fax listener
    • Now add whatever post-alert actions you want below the default schedule... or add other schedules

Thanks, Dave! I was getting around to saying basically what you said...

Nicole, the action you want in the Default Schedule under the Profile Dave describes is the Attendant Transfer action. Set it as the Default Action for the schedule. That allows you to transfer to a specific Operator Profile.

(If you want different behavior based on the time of day or whatever, you can have multiple schedules, set up as described.)
    George Ganahl
    Principal Education Technology Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by GGanahl View Post
    Thanks, Dave! I was getting around to saying basically what you said...

Nicole, the action you want in the Default Schedule under the Profile Dave describes is the Attendant Transfer action. Set it as the Default Action for the schedule. That allows you to transfer to a specific Operator Profile.

(If you want different behavior based on the time of day or whatever, you can have multiple schedules, set up as described.)
    I wasn't thinking about the attendant controlling workgroup behavior. Thank you for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by nofon4u View Post
    I wasn't thinking about the attendant controlling workgroup behavior. Thank you for the feedback!

One follow up question if I may.

I have my auto attendant configured to route a call to an ACD workgrup, but the logic built into the auto attendant will only work if the call is sent to that auto attendant.

Our front desk has become accustomed to transferring directly to workgroups. If this occurs, the caller can hold with no timeout. Is there anyway to remove the workgroup from the list when the transfer button is used?

I will create a directory item for them to drag and drop to, but i know at times they will forget. This will remain an issue because some calls will still route directly to other workgroups for now.

Thanks!
    Nicole

public contacts, handlers, etc.

I've run into this issue a bunch of times when deploying systems. Here are a couple of possible solutions that I've used:
    • Remove the permission that allows users to search for workgroups and use IC Public Contact entries that have phone numbers that match the appropriate profile in Attendant for where the call should be sent. In this case, I'll often create a profile that handles all transfers
    • Modify CustomInitiateTransferRequest to send workgroup transfers to the appropriate Attendant Profile (I usually used a Structured Parameter to lookup the transfer targets)

Quote Originally Posted by dcurrier View Post
    I've run into this issue a bunch of times when deploying systems. Here are a couple of possible solutions that I've used:
    • Remove the permission that allows users to search for workgroups and use IC Public Contact entries that have phone numbers that match the appropriate profile in Attendant for where the call should be sent. In this case, I'll often create a profile that handles all transfers
    • Modify CustomInitiateTransferRequest to send workgroup transfers to the appropriate Attendant Profile (I usually used a Structured Parameter to lookup the transfer targets)
    Thanks! I think the permissions option would work for us.

Much appreciated!