Thread: Emergency Announcements on the Phone Systems PA

Emergency Announcements on the Phone Systems PA

All,

Is there a way to allow an emergency PA announcement to override the phone call or otherwise come through the speaker when the phone is otherwise in use? When a tornado warning is issued we have a dedicated person who uses the phone PA system to announce the warning throughout the building. If someone is on their phone, the PA message does not come through on that particular phone. Is there a way to override the phone call?

Thank you,
    Brett Fetzer
    System Administrator
    Town of Fishers
    Fishers, IN 46038
    fetzerb@fishers.in.us

Brett,

I'm just thinking out loud but I wonder if you could modify the paging handler to force all calls to go on hold before broadcasting the message, then the page should interrupt the call to hear the page. After the page was done then you could pick all the calls up again. The problem with this approach is I'm not sure you can pick calls up for the user. Another idea might be to have the page "Join" the call in progress so the page would be heard over the remote party.

handset paging

Also keep in mind that paging to groups of handsets gets more and more cumbersome as the number of phones in the group increases. IC has to initialize each station in the group to be paged, so the more phones the longer the delay before the page is broadcast. This usually only works well with a handful of phones (and yes, by default, they must not be in use).

From "Configuration of IC Phone Features for Polycom Phones":

"Zone paging is not intended for live paging to an entire organization. It is intended for paging to a small geographical zone in the office or to a small group."

We've had much better luck using an overhead speaker system and either a SIP paging interface (Valcom, etc.) or a paging system connected to an analog gateway.

Zone paging everyone is also a good way to use up all your HMP IP resources at once...but it sounds like you may not care, since you are trying to override calls in progress.

Another method is to send a Supervisor Message with toast pop to everyone at the same time as a page to selected stations throughout the company.
    George Ganahl
    Principal Education Technology Consultant

Thanks for the ideas so far.

George, could you please explain to me how to send a supervisor message? Would an Administrator have to send this, or could, lets say a front office person who deals with customers daily?

Thank you,
    Brett Fetzer
    System Administrator
    Town of Fishers
    Fishers, IN 46038
    fetzerb@fishers.in.us

Supervisor Messages

In Supervisor 3.0, you can access the Supervisor Messages dialog from the View menu. Here you can add messages and define who should receive them (assuming you have the right "Allow Supervisor Message Creation".

When a message is sent, it will appear as a popup to the specified Interaction Client users. This is a good way to send a message out to a large group of people, but not quite as noticeable as an overhead page.

I would recommend the overhead paging system approach. I found it to be much more reliable, and very fast. I've done setups like that in the past for firestations and hospitals.

Valcom is a good brand, and they have quite a few options available for types of speakers.

Paul Watkins
    System Administrator
    SouthWest Gas Corporation

SIP paging speakers

Cybertdata.net makes good SIP-based ceiling speakers and zone units that work great with ININ.

RobertWC